Government remains committed to talking peace with leftist rebels, says Palace January 2, 2014 January 3, 2014Posted by HERBERT CURIA in GOVERNMENT, PEACE TALK UPDATES.
The government is not closing its door to restarting a peace dialogue with leftist insurgents believing that despite the hurdles, peace could still be achieved, a Palace official said on Thursday.
In a press briefing in Malacanang, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said that the President’s peace adviser had issued a statement last week that the government will continue to seek ways to reach a peace pact with the communist group.
The government and Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) have not agreed on many issues to move the peace process forward.
One of the issues is the release of communist advisers from government detention centers as a precondition for the start of the peace discussions.
“Hindi po nawawalan ng pag-asa o ng determinasyon ang ating pamahalaan na malampasan kung ano man ‘yung mga hamon na nagsisilbing balakid dahil isa pa rin po ‘yan sa mga timetable ng ating pamahalaan,” Coloma told reporters.
“Sinisikap po nating maisulong ang kapayapaan hindi lamang doon sa Mindanao kundi sa iba’t iba pang mga larangan at kasama na diyan ‘yung pakikipag-ugnayan o pakikipag-negosasyon sa CPP-NPA-NDF para po maresolba ang matagal nang usapin hinggil diyan.”
With regards to the threat issued by the CPP to intensify its campaign against government security facilities, Coloma said the military and the police are ready to defend the people and maintain peace.
“Siyempre po tutugunan ‘yan ng ating mga security forces and law enforcement authorities sapagkat tungkulin po ng Sandatahang Lakas na ipagtanggol ang ating mga mamamayan at panatilihin ang kaligtasan ng ating mga komunidad,” he said.
Office of the President Website